The 82 Employers Who Want to Deny Birth Control Coverage
In the case of Burwell v. Hobby Lobby, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled for the first time ever that bosses have the power to deny basic health coverage to their employees. While we don’t yet know exactly how many women will lose coverage of their contraceptive care, we do know that Justice Samuel Alito’s decision was certainly not “narrow.” It opened the door to allow many employers to deny coverage for any type of birth control to their employees.
Just how many organizations are challenging the Affordable Care Act (ACA)'s contraception mandate? The count stands at a whopping 82 — so far, according to The Daily Beast. Scroll through the list of companies, nonprofits, and universities below, or share our crazy-long graphic of the list.
Just try not to wear out your finger before you get to the most important part: JOINING THE DISSENT.
List of Organizations challenging ACA’s contraception mandate, as of June 26
(*= Both Nonprofit Profit cases)
Source: The Daily Beast, published 6/30/14
- Tyndale House
- Freshway Foods
- Johnson Welded Products
- Willis & Willis PC
- Trijicon, Inc.
- Barron Industries
- Midwest Fastener Corp.
- Electrolock Inc.
- Zumbiel Packaging
- Encompass Develop, Design & Construct, LLC.
- Holland Chevrolet
- Autocam Corporation
- Domino’s Farms
- Mersino Management
- Eden Foods Incorporated
- MK Chambers Company
- M&N Plastics
- Mersino Dewatering, Inc.
- Korte & Luitjohan Contractors, Inc.
- Triune Health Group
- Grote Industries
- Tonn and Blank Construction
- Lindsay, Rappaport and Postel, LLC
- Hart Electric, LLC
- Ozinga Brothers
- O’Brien Industrial Holdings
- American Pulverizer Company
- Annex Medical Inc.
- Sioux Chief Mfg. Co., Inc.
- American Mfg. Company
- Bick Holdings, Inc.
- SMA, LLC
- QC Group
- Feltl and Co.
- Randy Reed Automotive
- Doboszenski & Sons, Inc.
- Hastings Automotive
- Stinson Electric
- Hercules Industries, Inc.
- Continuum Health Partnerships & Connessione
- Cherry Creek Mortgage Co.
- Beckwith Electric Co.
- Geneva College*
- Weingartz Supply Company*
- Sharpe Holdings, Inc.*
- Catholic Benefits Association*
- Belmont Abbey College
- Wheaton College
- Roman Catholic Archbishop of Washington
- Priests for Life
- Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York
- Catholic Charities of the Archdiocese of Philadelphia, et al.
- Louisiana College
- Roman Catholic Diocese of Fort Worth
- Roman Catholic Diocese of Biloxi
- East Texas Baptist University
- Catholic Diocese of Beaumont
- Michigan Catholic Conference
- Right to Life of Michigan
- Catholic Diocese of Nashville
- Ave Maria Foundation
- Union University
- University of Notre Dame
- Catholic Diocese of Fort Wayne-South Bend
- Grace Schools
- Archdiocese of St. Louis
- School of the Ozarks
- Dordt College
- Colorado Christian University
- Southern Nazarene University
- Little Sisters of the Poor
- Reaching Souls International
- Fellowship of Catholic University Students
- Diocese of Cheyenne
- Eternal World Television Network
- Ave Maria University
- Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Atlanta
- Persico (Roman Catholic Diocese of Erie, Pennsylvania)
- Zubik (Roman Catholic Diocese of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania)
- Brandt (Roman Catholic Diocese of Greensburg, Pennsylvania)
- James Dobson (Family Talk radio show and ministry)
- Ave Maria School of Law
If you believe the ruling is an insult to the generations of women who have fought for control over their own bodies, join the dissent. If you believe women's fundamental rights are more important than some employers' personal beliefs, join the dissent. If you want to fight for the right of every woman to make her own private medical decisions without interference from anyone — JOIN THE DISSENT.
blog comments powered by Disqus
Want to DO Something? Get Involved Now!
November 20, 2014
Join Planned Parenthood Action in Tweeting at Congress
November 18, 2014
TIME Magazine Poll Wants to Ban the Word ‘Feminist’ — Really, TIME?!
November 13, 2014
Hey, Birth Control: Thanks a Bunch
November 12, 2014
Supreme Court Reopens Abortion Providers in Texas — For Now
October 17, 2014
I'm a Feminist and Proud of It!
Reductive attacks like the TIME poll (and those voting against the word “feminist") just proves how much we need feminism — and people who will stand up and fight for equality. Add your name if you're one of them!