Obamacare IS Working
It’s been three years since Obamacare, aka the Affordable Care Act, aka the health care law, was signed into law, and already millions of women, families, and young people are benefiting from it. And yet, the fight seems to be getting all the attention.
You’ve heard this one before: politicians in Congress are getting ready for another attempt to repeal Obamacare (seriously. It’s scheduled for Friday). They grab headlines with their over-the-top soliloquies on how “Obamacare isn’t working,” but they couldn’t be more wrong. They should tell that to the 27 million women who have ALREADY benefitted. And maybe they should tell that to this supporter who sent us her photo of her birth control without co-pay. Obamacare is working, and as the benefits for women’s preventive care offered under the law continue to roll out, millions of women will gain access to health care and be able to lead healthier lives.
The real story of Obamacare is the historic progress that has been made for women’s health—the real stories of real people who have already benefitted from the law and those who stand to benefit.
So why do we love Obamacare? Let us count the ways….
- Because of Obamacare, millions of women will no longer have to worry about what happens if they get sick or have a pre-existing condition.
- Because of Obamacare, women can’t be charged higher premiums (sometimes up to 150% more) simply based on gender, and you can’t be denied access to insurance because of “pre-existing conditions” like pregnancy or being a survivor of domestic violence.
- Because of Obamacare, 47 million women stand to gain access to affordable, preventive care with no additional co-pay.
- Because of Obamacare, women can get save up to $600/year on access to birth control with no co-pay.
- Because of Obamacare, nearly 12 million women of reproductive age will be newly eligible for insurance coverage for the first time in their lives. Nearly two million African-American women and more than 2.5 million Latinas will be newly eligible for insurance coverage.
- Because of Obamacare 3.1 million young adults have already been able to stay on their parents’ insurance up until the age of 26.
- Because of Obamacare your insurance company can’t come between you and your doctor—and women will have guaranteed access to an ob/gyn provider.
Because of Obamacare, women and families will be able to lead healthier lives. It’s more health care for more women—and it’s health care that’s there when you need it.
We need to stand up and help make sure every woman and her family can access the care they deserve. Sign on to send a clear message to these anti-women’s health lawmakers: Obamacare works and we’re not going to stop fighting to protect it.
blog comments powered by Disqus
No Surprise Here: States That Have Embraced Obamacare See a Larger Drop in the Uninsured
April 17, 2014
Indecisive Lawmaker Wants to Make Decisions for All Missouri Women
April 11, 2014
How Paul Ryan's Budget Will Hurt Women
April 11, 2014
Self-described “Pro-life” Governor Vetoes 20-week Abortion Ban in West Virginia
March 31, 2014
Planned Parenthood in the Community to Get Folks Signed Up for Health Care
March 31, 2014